- 2 cups cake flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup milk
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup melted unsalted butter
- Nonstick vegetable spray for coating waffle iron
- Confectioners' sugar
- Fresh berries
- Whipped cream, recipe follows
- Ice cream, optional
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon confectioner' sugar
- 1 tablespoon maraschino liqueur or Kirsch (for a non-alcoholic substitution, use 1 teaspoon vanilla extract)
Preheat a waffle iron. In a large bowl, stir together the dry ingredients. Make a well in the center and add the buttermilk, milk, eggs, and melted butter. Mix together just until combined (DON'T OVERMIX THE BATTER!). The batter should look slightly lumpy.
Spray the waffle iron with the nonstick vegetable spray. Pour 1/2 cup of the batter or the amount recommended by the waffle-iron maker onto the waffle iron; bake as directed by the manufacturer.
Whipped Cream: In a chilled bowl, whip the cream until slightly thickened, about 2 minutes. Add the sugar and maraschino. Whip to soft, fluffy peaks, about 2 minutes.
Dust finished waffles with confectioners' sugar and top with fresh berries, whipped cream, or ice cream, if desired. Serve hot off the griddle.