Zucchini "Fettuccine" With Tomato Sauce
- 4 large zucchini or yellow squash
- Kosher salt
- 5 medium vine-ripened tomatoes
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil,
- plus more for drizzling
- 1/2 clove garlic, chopped
- 1 teaspoon chopped jalapeno pepper
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped pine nuts,
- plus more for topping
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh oregano
Trim and peel the zucchini, then use a mandoline or a vegetable peeler to thinly slice lengthwise into wide ribbons (stop when you get to the seeds). Cut the ribbons into 1/4-to-1/2-inch-wide strips to make them look like fettuccine. Transfer to a colander and toss with 3/4 teaspoon salt; let drain in the sink, tossing occasionally, about 30 minutes. Rinse well and pat dry.
Meanwhile, peel the tomatoes using a sharp vegetable peeler, then halve horizontally and squeeze out the seeds. Puree 1 tomato with the olive oil, garlic, jalapeno, and 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper in a food processor or blender. Transfer to a bowl. Chop the remaining 4 tomatoes and add to the bowl; add the pine nuts, basil, oregano, and salt to taste.
Divide the zucchini among bowls and top with the tomato sauce. Top with more pine nuts and drizzle with olive oil.
Photograph by Kate Sears