Caramelized Onion and Garlic Dip
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
- 1 shallot, peeled and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 large Spanish onion
- 1 Vidalia onion, finely chopped
- 3 cipollini onions, finely chopped
- 1 medium red onion, finely chopped
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup fat-free Greek yogurt
- 1 cup reduced-fat cream cheese
- 3 scallions, chopped (about 1/2 cup)
- 1 bunch fresh chives, chopped (about 3 tablespoons)
In a large saute pan over medium heat, add the olive oil. Add the thyme, shallots, garlic and all the varieties of onions. Saute, stirring constantly. (Onions absorb oil quickly, so add more if necessary.) Continue to cook until the vegetables are lightly browned, about 15 minutes. Remove from the heat and season with salt and pepper. Let cool slightly.
In a medium bowl, add the yogurt and cream cheese and stir together. Add in the onions, scallions and chives. Stir well to combine.