My Favorite Falafel Sandwich
- 2 cups dried chick peas, soaked in water overnight
- 2 tablespoons freshly chopped cilantro leaves
- 2 tablespoons freshly chopped parsley leaves
- 1 small onion, roughly chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 lemon, juiced
- Pinch salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Chick pea flour, if needed
- 3 tablespoons grapeseed oil, for searing
- 4 Mediterranean flatbreads, no pockets
- Arugula, for garnish
- Cherry tomatoes, halved, for garnish
- Red onion, sliced thin, for garnish
- Smokey Tahini Sauce, for garnish, recipe follows
- Smoky Tahini Sauce:
- 1/2 cup tahini paste
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1 tablespoon freshly chopped parsley leaves
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
Heat a grill pan until hot.
Drain the chick peas. Place in food processor along with cilantro, parsley, onion, cumin, cayenne, garlic, lemon juice, and salt and pepper. Pulse until well blended. Consistency should be in the form of a paste. Place mixture in a bowl and form into 2-inch patties.
*Cook's Note: If dry add 1 tablespoon water. If too wet, add chick pea flour.
In a large skillet over medium-high heat, add grapeseed oil. Add patties and cook for 3 to 4 minutes on each side. Remove from pan and place on a paper towel lined platter to drain. Set aside and keep warm.
To a hot grill pan, add flatbread to mark and warm on each side for 1 minute. Remove. Add 2 to 3 patties to each warm flatbread. Top with some arugula, tomato, onion and Smoky Tahini SauceSmoky Tahini Sauce:
In a bowl, whisk all ingredients until a creamy consistency is reached.
Recipe courtesy Aaron McCargo Jr.
Recipe courtesy of Rachael Ray