Indian Snack Mix (Chewda)
- 2 cups corn cereal (recommended: Corn Flakes)
- 2 cups puffed rice cereal (recommended: Rice Krispies)
- 1/4 cup shelled, skinless peanuts
- 1/4 cup pepitas ( pumpkin seeds)
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil
- 1 teaspoon brown or black mustard seeds
- 8 to 10 fresh curry leaves, optional
- 1/2 green serrano chile, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- Small handful plantain chips, optional
- 2 tablespoons golden raisins
- Kosher salt
There are entire shops dedicated to this snack mix in India, and it's one of our treasured snacks. The last time I was in India, we all walked to a neighborhood pub, ordered a pitcher of beer, and chowed down on a big bowl of Chewda. It usually consists of chickpea flour noodles, flattened flakes of dried rice, peanuts and seasonings. Here's my Americanized version. Careful. Once you start... it's really hard to stop!
Christina Perozzi from beerforchicks.com pairs this with a Reissdorf Kolsch from Koln (or Cologne), Germany. It's a crisp, dry and light ale. It has a depth of flavor without getting too big like a lager would.
Warm the oil in the same wok over medium heat. Add the mustard seeds (stand back, they'll pop!), curry leaves, green chile, and turmeric. Cook about 30 seconds. Turn the heat off.