Lady Marmalade Chicken Salad
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (about 1 pound)
- Extra-virgin olive oil, for drizzling
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 3 tablespoons orange marmalade
- 1 medium shallot, minced
- 1 green apple, diced
- 1 cup red seedless grapes, halved
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 cup low-fat Greek yogurt, mixed well
- 1 tablespoon canola or peanut oil
- 1 teaspoon brown mustard seeds or cumin seeds
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 2 tablespoons roasted salted cashews, chopped
- Fresh cilantro leaves, for sprinkling
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with foil. Put the chicken breasts on the foil and drizzle with olive oil. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and rub until coated. Pop the chicken in the oven and roast until a thermometer inserted into the thickest part registers 150 degrees F, 15 to 20 minutes.
Switch the oven to the broiler setting. Brush 1 tablespoon marmalade on each chicken breast. Broil, brushing occasionally with the pan drippings, until the chicken is cooked through and golden, about 5 minutes. Let cool.
Meanwhile, build the salad: Toss the shallot, apple, grapes, lime juice, yogurt, 1/2 teaspoon salt and the remaining 1 tablespoon marmalade in a large bowl.
Heat the canola oil in a small skillet over medium heat until shimmering. Add the mustard seeds and garlic; cook until the seeds stop popping (cover if they're popping out of the pan). Quickly add the curry powder; cook, stirring, 30 seconds, then pour the spiced oil over the yogurt mixture. Stir until combined.
Once the chicken breasts are cool, thinly slice them. Fold into the salad and adjust the salt and pepper. Top with the cashews and cilantro.
Photograph by Lisa Shin
Thank you! your flag was submitted.