Lucia-Lucia Fried Rice
- 1 long link Mexican chorizo sausage, casing removed, and chorizo crumbled
- 1 tablespoon peanut oil
- 2 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 2 teaspoons brown mustard seeds
- 6 fresh curry leaves*
- 1 red onion, chopped finely
- 1/4 cup peanuts
- 3 cloves garlic, sliced
- 2 teaspoons turmeric
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 2 Roma tomatoes, chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh okra, sliced
- Olive oil, for cooking eggs
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 cups cooked white basmati rice
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- Juice of 1/2 lime
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- *Can be found at specialty Asian and Indian markets.
Heat a large saute pan over medium heat and add the chorizo. Cook the sausage until cooked through and crispy. Remove the sausage from the pan, leaving the fat in the pan.
Add the peanut oil to the chorizo fat and add the cumin seeds and mustard seeds. Cook's Note: Be careful! The seeds will start popping. When the seeds start to pop, add the curry leaves, which will sputter too, so watch out! Then add the onion, peanuts, garlic, turmeric, and paprika, sauteing until the onions are soft and golden brown. Add the tomatoes and okra. Cook until the tomatoes are soft and mushy and the okra is tender.
Meanwhile, in a small nonstick pan, heat a drizzle of olive oil over medium heat and scramble the eggs.
Add the cooked rice to the tomato mixture and stir. Cook until the rice is warmed through. Stir in the chorizo, scrambled eggs, chopped cilantro, and lime juice. Taste the mixture and season with salt, and pepper, to taste.
Food Network Kitchens have not tested this recipe and therefore, we cannot make representation as to the results.