- 1 cup unsalted roasted peanuts
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 4 tablespoons shredded coconut (either fresh or the unsweetened desiccated kind)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons garam masala, store-bought or homemade, recipe follows
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
Preheat the oven to 250 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
Mix the peanuts, pecans, coconut, oil, coriander cumin, garam masala and salt together and pour onto the baking sheet. Toast for 40 minutes, rotating the baking sheet halfway through for even baking. Remove from the oven and allow it to cool. If you're taking them to the beach, make little parchment cones and pour some nuts into each one!
Aarti's Hot (not heavy!) Homemade Garam Masala:
- 1/4 cup green cardamom pods, shelled, husks discarded (about 2 tablespoons of seeds)
- 3 tablespoons whole cloves
- 4 large black cardamom pods, shelled, husks discarded (about 1 tablespoon of seeds), optional
- 3 large cinnamon sticks (if you have the kind you get at Indian stores, it's about 3 tablespoons of cinnamon bark bits)