- 1 (14-ounce) can pumpkin puree (the unseasoned kind)
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups unsweetened almond milk, or water
- 2 tablespoons raisins (golden or regular)
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3/4 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice OR 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon plus 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom plus 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 cups quick cooking oatmeal (not the instant kind)
- 1/4 cup pepitas ( pumpkin seeds)
- Honey or maple sugar, for serving
- Heavy cream, for serving
DirectionsWatch how to make this recipe
Pumpkin pie is one of my most favorite American desserts - it's so comforting, so clearly connected to that most wonderful time of year, Thanksgiving, where no matter what race or religion, families and friends gather to celebrate how grateful they are for each other. What better way to start your day?
Add the oatmeal. Turn the heat down and cook according to your oatmeal instructions; mine usually takes about 15 minutes. Stir often.
Meanwhile, in a small cast iron skillet over medium heat, toast the pepitas until they're fragrant and a gentle golden brown, about 10 minutes.
Once the oatmeal is cooked (each grain should be tender), serve with honey or maple sugar on the side, pepitas to sprinkle on top, and cream if people like it more like porridge.
Recipe courtesy of Aarti Sequeira