Persian Beef Kebabs
- 2 pounds sirloin steak
- 1 medium white onion, roughly chopped
- 5 medium garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 medium lime, juiced (about 4 teaspoons)
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
- 2 pinches saffron (steeped a few minutes in 2 tablespoons boiling water) or 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 8 (12-inch) metal or wooden skewers, if wooden, soak in water for 15 minutes
- 8 medium Roma tomatoes
- Olive oil
- Lavash bread, for serving
- Plain yogurt, for serving
- Cilantro leaves, for serving
Trim any excess fat from the steaks, cut into 1-inch cubes, and place in a large nonreactive bowl.
Place onion, garlic, lime juice, salt, pepper, and saffron or cumin, in a food processor and process until smooth. Pour mixture over meat, toss to coat, cover and marinate 30 minutes at room temperature, or up to 12 hours in the refrigerator.
When ready to cook, heat grill to medium heat (350 degrees F) and oil well. Thread meat on skewers, leaving at least 1/2-inch space between each piece of meat. In a small bowl and the tomatoes, drizzle with oil, season with salt and pepper, and toss to coat thoroughly. Place meat and tomatoes on grill. Cook meat, turning once, until charred and medium-rare, about 7 to 10 minutes. Cook tomatoes, turning rarely, until blistered and soft, about 10 minutes.