Quick-Braised Greens with Bacon and Sweet Onions
- 1 1/2 pounds collard greens, washed, trimmed, and roughly chopped
- 4 ounces bacon, sliced crosswise into 1/2-inch pieces
- 3/4 cup minced sweet onions
- 1 1/2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Bring a large pot of heavily salted water to a boil. When water boils, add greens and cook until wilted and tender, about 5 minutes. Drain and set aside.
Place bacon in a large frying pan and cook over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until browned and fat is rendered, about 3 minutes. Add onion and cook until softened, about 4 minutes. Add greens and turn to coat well. Add broth - it should cover greens and let cook until broth is reduced and greens are very tender, about 15 minutes. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper and serve.
Recipe courtesy of Aida Mollenkamp