- 1 gallon water
- 4 green plantains
- Oil, for sauteing
- 1 white onion, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 1 green bell pepper, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 1 large, round tomato, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 2 chipotles, chopped
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1 pound crabmeat, cleaned
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- Salt and pepper
- Canola or corn oil, for frying
- 1 cup chicken stock
In a large pot, bring water to a boil and blanch plantains. Peel plantains and cut into 2-inch segments.
In a saute pan, heat oil and saute onions, peppers and tomatoes. When soft, add the chipotles and white wine. Cook until liquid is almost evaporated. Add crabmeat and cook for 3 minutes. Add cilantro and season with salt and pepper.
Heat oil to 350 degrees F. Fry plantains for 5 minutes, then drain and divide into 4 equal portions. Place each portion individually in a mortar, and mash plantains, adding chicken stock as needed. Coat sides of mortar with plantain and fill with crab stuffing. Fold over the edges to form a dumpling and flip onto a plate.