Bibb Lettuce and Shrimp Wraps
Recipe courtesy of Alex Guarnaschelli
Recipe courtesy Alex Guarnaschelli
I like the idea of a wrap for spring or summer because it's really light and fun to eat. You can also top this with some salsa.
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 medium cloves garlic, peeled, minced
- 1 red onion, peeled, halved and thinly sliced
- Small bunch fresh thyme, tied with string
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon finely grated fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 12 U-10 shrimp, each cut into 3 equal pieces
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons dry sherry
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon sherry vinegar
- Juice and zest of 1 lemon
- 12 to 16 medium Bibb lettuce leaves, thoroughly washed
- 1/4 cup dry-roasted peanuts, coarsely chopped
For the onions: Heat the oil in a medium saute pan over medium heat. Add the garlic, onions and thyme and sprinkle with salt and black pepper. Cook until translucent, 3 to 5 minutes, and then add 1/2 cup water. Continue cooking until the onions are tender, 10 to 15 minutes. If the liquid reduces too much, add a little more water. Taste for seasoning, adding more salt and pepper as needed. Stir in the ginger. Remove from the heat and discard the thyme.
For the shrimp: Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat and add the oil. Toss the shrimp with the paprika and salt in a bowl, stirring to coat. When the oil begins to smoke, shut off the heat, add the shrimp to the skillet and toss around with a metal spatula so they are coated with oil and cook more evenly. Stir in the sherry. Turn the heat back on to medium-high and cook until the shrimp are no longer translucent, 1 to 2 minutes. Season with more salt and pepper. Squeeze the lemon juice over and remove from the heat. Reserve any cooking liquid (if there is any). Stir the onion mixture into the shrimp.
For assembly: Spoon a little of the onion and shrimp mixture onto the bottom of each Bibb leaf. Top each with a sprinkle of the peanuts and drizzle with the vinaigrette. Serve any remaining vinaigrette on the side.
More Recipes and Ideas:
Barbecued Shrimp in Lettuce Wraps, Fresh Tuna and Butter Lettuce Wraps with Crispy Wonton Threads, Shaved Jalapeno and Basil Oil, Antipasto Summer Lettuce Wraps, Salmon Mousse Recipes, Shrimp Creole Recipes, Chicken Wing Recipes, Outdoor Party Recipes, Meatball Appetizer Recipes, Cheese Ball Recipes
Thank you! your flag was submitted.