Frozen Iceberg Salad with Champagne Vinegar
- 1 large head iceberg lettuce, outer layer removed and both ends trimmed
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons champagne vinegar
- Kosher salt
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small bunch fresh tarragon, washed, dried, leaves chopped
Put the head of lettuce on a flat surface and cut in half at the equator. Transfer the lettuce to a small tray and put it in the freezer.
In a medium bowl, whisk together the Dijon mustard, vinegar, and pinch of salt. Slowly whisk in the olive oil and then add the tarragon. Taste for seasoning and set aside.
Allow the lettuce to remain in the freezer until just before serving. They can remain in there for 4 to 6 hours, if necessary. When ready to serve, transfer to a platter and drizzle each half with the dressing. Serve immediately.
I love a really cold salad and this takes it to the extreme. My father would always serve all the greens ice cold and I really feel this recipe keeps that tradition alive!
Recipe courtesy Alex Guarnaschelli
Recipe courtesy of Rachael Ray