- 2 pints strawberries, washed, hulled and split
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon orange liqueur, such as Grand Marnier
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, plus some additional for rolling out the dough
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon plus 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- Zest from 1/2 lemon
- 6 tablespoons lightly salted butter, cut into small cubes
- 2 hard-boiled egg yolks
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Nonstick spray, to grease the baking sheet
- 1 pint raspberry sorbet
- 1 1/2 to 2 cups whipped cream
Prepare the strawberries: In a medium bowl, combine the strawberries, sugar and orange liqueur and refrigerate for a few minutes to allow the strawberries to macerate.
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
Make the shortcake: In a medium bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, salt and lemon zest. Work in the butter cubes with your fingers until the mixture is crumbly. Then, using a spoon, press the egg yolks through a mesh sieve into the flour mixture and combine with your hands. Add the cream and vanilla and mix until it forms a dough. It should be fairly wet.
Finish and bake the biscuits: On a lightly floured surface, flatten and shape the dough until it is about 1 1/2 inches thick. The less you work the dough, the more tender your biscuits will be. Use a knife to cut the dough into 2-inch squares. Lightly roll the scraps back into one piece and cut additional squares. To me, thicker, smaller-size cakes are moister after they bake and taste better the next day! Place them on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Place the baking sheet in the center of the oven and bake until lightly brown, 10 to 12 minutes. Set aside to cool.
To serve: Split the shortcakes like a sandwich to create a top and a bottom piece. Spoon the strawberries and their juices over the bottom half of each shortcake bottom. Place a scoop of raspberry sorbet in the center of the bottom half and cover it with whipped cream and more strawberries for a little hidden surprise. Top with the other biscuit top. Serve immediately.