Tomato and Watermelon Salad with Mozzarella
Recipe courtesy of Alex Guarnaschelli
Recipe courtesy Alex Guarnaschelli
Slice the tomatoes in big and small pieces for a more dramatic salad. For best results, make the salad without ever refrigerating the tomatoes[, but with the watermelon ice cold from the refrigerator. The contrast of temperatures will give the salad an extra fresh taste. You will need Mozzarella in the "bag" with liquid; the liquid is used in the dressing.]
- Total Time:
- 15 min
- 15 min
- 6 to 8 servings
- 1 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 6 to 8 ounces mozzarella cheese, cut into 12 small slices, liquid reserved
- 4 tablespoons pickle juice (from the jar)
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- Herb Salt:
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley leaves, tightly packed, stemmed, washed, dried and chopped
- 2 ounces coarse sea salt
- 2 ripe beefsteak (or any large variety heirloom) tomatoes, washed, dried and stemmed
- 1 pint cherry (Sweet 100's or heirloom) tomatoes, washed, dried and stemmed
- Granulated sugar
- Coarsely ground black pepper
- The juice from 1/2 to 1 lemon, depending on personal taste
- 6 ounces cold watermelon, rind removed, seeded, cut into bite-size cubes and refrigerated until just before serving
For the dressing: In a bowl, whisk together the olive oil, mozzarella liquid and pickle juice. Whisk in the vinegar. Taste for seasoning. Set aside.
For the herb salt: Put the parsley and the salt in the bowl of the food processor and pulse to blend until they are integrated and the salt is green. Keep in a sealed jar.
To assemble the salad: Slice and arrange the tomatoes in a single layer on a flat surface. Drizzle the tomatoes with a little sugar, black pepper and the dressing. Top with a sprinkle of the parsley salt. Taste a tomato slice for seasoning. Squeeze the lemon juice on the watermelon. Season the mozzarella slices with parsley salt and a little dressing, as well. Arrange the tomatoes, mozzarella and watermelon cubes on 6 rectangular plates. Serve immediately.