- 8 ounces old-fashioned rolled oats, about 2 cups
- 1 1/2 ounces raw sunflower seeds, about 1/2 cup
- 3 ounces sliced almonds, about 1 cup
- 1 1/2 ounces wheat germ, about 1/2 cup
- 6 ounces honey, about 1/2 cup
- 1 3/4 ounces dark brown sugar, about 1/4 cup packed
- 1 -ounce unsalted butter, plus extra for pan
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 6 1/2 ounces chopped dried fruit, any combination of apricots, cherries or blueberries
Butter a 9 by 9-inch glass baking dish and set aside. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
In the meantime, combine the honey, brown sugar, butter, extract and salt in a medium saucepan and place over medium heat. Cook until the brown sugar has completely dissolved.
Once the oat mixture is done, remove it from the oven and reduce the heat to 300 degrees F. Immediately add the oat mixture to the liquid mixture, add the dried fruit, and stir to combine. Turn mixture out into the prepared baking dish and press down, evenly distributing the mixture in the dish and place in the oven to bake for 25 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely. Cut into squares and store in an airtight container for up to a week.
Recipe courtesy of Alton Brown, 2005