- 1 pound okra, rinsed and trimmed
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups finely chopped red onion
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 cups peeled and chopped tomato
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground grains of paradise* or black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground cardamom
Cut each okra pod in half lengthwise and set aside. If there are any pods longer than 4 inches, cut them in half crosswise and then lengthwise.
Heat the olive oil in a 4-quart saucepan over medium heat until shimmering. Add the onions along with the salt and cook until they begin to turn golden, approximately 4 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute longer. Add the tomatoes and bring the mixture to a boil. Decrease the heat to low and add the ginger, pepper, cardamom and okra. Stir to combine. Cook, uncovered for 20 minutes. Remove from the heat, taste and adjust the seasoning as desired. Serve immediately.