- 4 cups French bread cut into 1-inch cubes and dried overnight
- 6 slices bacon, cooked, chopped, drippings reserved
- 2 cups halved grape tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons oil, for searing
- 2 cups halved yellow pear tomatoes or roughly chopped heirloom tomatoes
- 2 cups chopped romaine lettuce
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon chiffonade mint
- 1 tablespoon chiffonade basil
Toss bread cubes in the bacon drippings. Sear the halved grape tomatoes in 2 tablespoons of oil, cut side down, until caramelized about 5 minutes, set aside.
Combine red wine vinegar, salt and pepper in a bowl, slowly whisk in olive oil in a thin stream until emulsified.
Combine all tomatoes, bread, bacon, and lettuce and dress with vinaigrette, toss well, garnish with mint and basil and serve.
Recipe courtesy Alton Brown
Recipe courtesy of Bobby Flay