- 1/2 cup ricotta cheese
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan
- 2 tablespoons chopped spinach
- 1 egg
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 pinch freshly grated nutmeg
- Fresh pasta, recipe follows
- 1 egg mixed with 1/2 teaspoon water
- Fresh Pasta:
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 large eggs
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- By Hand: On a clean surface make a well with the flour. In a measuring cup mix the eggs, water and oil and salt. Pour the wet mixture slowly into the flour and mix with your 2 fingers until all of the wet is incorporated. Do not force the dough to take all of the flour. If you are going to use a pasta machine to roll out the dough you may at this point form the dough into a disk and cover with plastic wrap. Place in the refrigerator for 1 hour to rest. If you going to roll this by hand you should knead the dough on a floured work surface for 8 to 10 minutes.
- By Food Processor:
- In the bowl of your food processor combine the flour and salt and pulse 2 to 3 times. In a liquid measuring cup whisk the eggs, water and oil. While pulsing the machine pour this mixture in a continuous stream and continue running the machine until the dough begins to pull away from the sides of the bowl. Follow directions above for hand rolling or machine.
- Yield: 4 to 6 servings
- Preparation time: 5 minutes
- Cooking time: 3 to 5 minutes in boiling water
- Ease of Preparation: easy
In a bowl combine all ingredients, except for the pasta and egg wash.
Using the fresh pasta recipe, roll out your dough either by hand or by machine. Cut into 3 or 4- inch rounds with a round cookie cutter. Place 1/4 teaspoon into the center of each round. Brush egg wash (on the bottom half of the round and fold over to seal. Fold back around your finger and turn down the edge to form a tortellini.
Recipe courtesy Alton Brown
Recipe courtesy of Michael Chiarello