- Extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- Kosher salt
- Pinch crushed red pepper
- 4 cloves garlic, smashed and finely chopped
- 3 large tomatoes, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 1 small bundle fresh thyme
- 1 red pepper, stems, seeds and pith removed and cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 1 medium eggplant, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 1 large or 2 small summer squash, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 1 large zucchini, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 6 fresh basil leaves, cut into chiffonade
Coat a large wide pan with olive oil. Add the onions, season with salt and crushed red pepper and bring the pan to a medium heat. Cook the onions until they are soft and very aromatic but have no color, 7 to 8 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for 2 to 3 minutes.
Add the tomatoes, 1/2 cup water, thyme bundle and season with salt. Cook the tomatoes until they become very pulpy and have broken apart, 15 to 20 minutes.
Stir in the basil and taste to make sure the seasoning is correct. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Recipe courtesy of Bobby Flay