- 1 tablespoon corn oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, peeled and sliced
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1/4 cup roasted red peppers, thinly sliced
- Pinch sugar
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup shredded Mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 package 5-inch frozen empanada shells
- Cooking spray
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon water
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
Heat 1 tablespoon corn oil in a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Saute onions for 3 minutes, until translucent. Add corn and roasted red peppers; saute for 5 minutes or until the corn is fully cooked. Season with sugar, salt and pepper. Transfer mixture to medium bowl, stir in cheese and heavy whipping cream. Let cool.
On a cutting board, place 6 empanada shells side by side. Place a spoonful of the corn-cheese filling on 1 side of the circle. Moisten the tip of your finger with a small amount of water and moisten the edges of the circle with your finger. Fold the dough over the filling to make a half circle. Press the edges with a fork to seal.
Spray a baking sheet with cooking spray. Place the empanadas on prepared baking sheet.
Let cool and serve.