1. Classic Boil Peel and cube 2 pounds russet potatoes; toss with 2 tablespoons cider vinegar and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Mix 2 cups mayonnaise, 2 chopped scallions, 1 chopped celery stalk, 1 tablespoon each Dijon mustard and vinegar, 1 teaspoon sugar, and salt. Toss with the potatoes.
2. Classic Red Make Classic Potato Salad (No. 1) with red potatoes instead of russets.
3. Waldorf Make Classic Potato Salad (No. 1) without mustard. Double the celery and add 1 chopped apple and 1/2 cup chopped walnuts.
4. Egg-Pickle Make Classic Potato Salad (No. 1), substituting pickle juice for the vinegar in the dressing. Add 3 chopped hard-boiled eggs, 1/2 cup chopped bell pepper and 1/4 cup diced pickle.
5. Sweet Relish Boil, peel and cube 2 pounds russets; toss with 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Mix 1 cup whipped salad dressing, 1/2 cup relish, 2 tablespoons yellow mustard and 1 chopped scallion; toss with the potatoes.
6. Crab Boil Mix 1/2 cup each corn and chopped celery, 1 cup mayonnaise, 1 tablespoon lemon juice and 1 1/2 teaspoons Old Bay. Toss with 2 pounds boiled, cubed red potatoes and 1 cup crabmeat.
7. Lobster Mix 1/4 cup each mayonnaise and creme fraiche, 2 teaspoons each truffle oil and chopped tarragon, and salt. Toss with 1 pound boiled, cubed red potatoes and 1 cup lobster meat.
8. Curry Heat 1/3 cup each olive oil and golden raisins in a skillet. Add 2 teaspoons curry powder and stir 30 seconds. Mix with 1 cup Greek yogurt, 2 cups cooked green beans and 2 pounds boiled, cubed russets. Season with salt.
9. Ranch Mix 2/3 cup mayonnaise, 1/4 cup buttermilk, 2 tablespoons cider vinegar, 1 minced garlic clove, 1/2 cup chopped celery, 2 chopped scallions, 1 teaspoon sugar, and salt and pepper. Toss with 2 pounds boiled, cubed red potatoes.
10. Bacon-Ranch Make Ranch Potato Salad (No. 9). Top with 6 slices cooked bacon, crumbled.
Photographs by Kana Okada