- 1 1/2 cups quinoa
- 5 pickling cucumbers, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 1 small red onion, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 1 bunch Italian parsley, leaves only, chopped
- 2 bunches mint, leaves only, chopped
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 6 romaine lettuce leaves
- 1 avocado, peeled, seeded and sliced, for garnish
- Cracked Black Pepper Garnish, (optional)
Bring 3 quarts of water to a boil in a large saucepan. Add the quinoa, stir once and return to a boil. Cook, uncovered, over moderate heat 10 minutes. Strain and rinse well with cold water. Shake the sieve well to remove all moisture.
When dry, transfer the quinoa to a large bowl. Add the remaining salad ingredients and toss well. Serve on lettuce-lined plates, topped with avocado slices and optional cracked pepper garnish.