Black Bean Soup (Sopa de Frijoles)
- 2 pounds black turtle beans
- 1 1/2 ounces olive oil
- 8 ounces onion small diced
- 4 garlic cloves chopped
- 2 ounces jalapeno or other fresh green chile, chopped
- 4 tablespoons paprika
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 bay leaf
- 5 quarts white stock, vegetable stock, or water
- 1 pounds drained canned tomatoes chopped
- Hot pepper sauce
- 8 ounces avocado, medium diced, for garnish
- 8 ounces Spanish dry chorizo medium diced, for garnish
- 8 ounces tomatoes, medium diced for, garnish
- This recipe was provided by professional chefs and has been scaled down from a bulk recipe provided by a restaurant. The Food Network Kitchens chefs have not tested this recipe, in the proportions indicated, and therefore, we cannot make any representation as to the results.
Soak the beans overnight in cold water. Heat the olive oil in a heavy soup pot over moderate heat. Add the onions, garlic, and jalapeno. Cook over low heat until almost tender, then stir in the paprika, cumin, coriander, and bay leaf.
Add the stock or water. Drain the soaked beans and add them to the pot. Cover and simmer until the beans are just tender. Add the tomatoes. Continue to simmer until the beans are completely tender and the flavors are well blended, about 20 to 30 minutes. Add salt and hot pepper sauce, to taste. Carefully mix together the diced avocado, chorizo and tomato. Garnish each portion of the soup with a spoonful of this mixture
Thank you! your flag was submitted.