Black Pepper and Sage Biscuits
- 6 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting
- 1/3 cup powdered milk
- 5 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon coarsely ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon ground sage, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup or 1 stick cold butter, cut into bits
- 1/2 cup shortening, cold
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 1/2 stick melted butter
DirectionsWatch how to make this recipe.
Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.
Stir together the flour, powered milk, baking powder, sugar, salt, pepper, cream of tartar and sage in a medium bowl.
Using a pastry cutter, cut the butter and shortening into the dry mixture until blended thoroughly.
Stir in the buttermilk so the dough comes together.
On a lightly floured surface, turn out the dough and use hands to press into a circle 1 to 1 1/2 inches thick.
Cut out the circles with a biscuit cutter or glass. Place the biscuits in cast-iron skillets, then brush the tops with melted butter.
Bake in the oven until golden brown, 10 to 12 minutes.
Cook Notes: This recipe is doubled to make 32 biscuits.
Recipe courtesy of Ree Drummond