Black Pepper and Sage Biscuits
- 3 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting
- 1/3 cup powdered milk
- 5 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon coarsely ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon ground sage, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup or 1 stick cold butter, cut into bits
- 1/2 cup shortening, cold
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 1/2 stick melted butter
Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.
Stir together the flour, powered milk, baking powder, sugar, salt, pepper, cream of tartar and sage in a medium bowl.
Using a pastry cutter, cut the butter and shortening into the dry mixture until blended thoroughly.
Stir in the buttermilk so the dough comes together.
On a lightly floured surface, turn out the dough and use hands to press into a circle 1 to 1 1/2 inches thick.
Cut out the circles with a biscuit cutter or glass. Place the biscuits in cast-iron skillets, then brush the tops with melted butter.
Bake in the oven until golden brown, 10 to 12 minutes.
Cook Notes: This recipe is doubled to make 32 biscuits.