Buttermilk Onion Rings with Grilled Tomato Aioli Dipping Sauce
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 3 cups buttermilk
- Pinch cayenne
- 4 large Vidalia onions, peeled and cut crosswise into 3/4-inch slices
- 4 cups peanut oil
- 4 cups all purpose flour seasoned with salt and pepper
- Grilled Tomato Aioli:
- 2 plum tomatoes, grilled, seeds and skin removed and coarsely chopped
- 2 cups good quality mayonnaise
- 3 cloves garlic, coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- Pinch of cayenne
Combine buttermilk, flour, cayenne and salt in a large bowl until smooth. Soak the onion rings in the batter for 2 hours in the refrigerator.
Using side burner. Heat oil in a large saucepan to 375 degrees F. In batches, remove onion rings from batter and dredge in the seasoned flour mixture. Fry for 3 to 4 minutes or until golden brown. Drain on paper towels and season immediately with salt.Grilled Tomato Aioli:
Place all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth. Season with cayenne and salt.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.