Caramelized Scallops with Fresh Green Pea Vinaigrette
- Pea Vinaigrette:
- 1 cup fresh peas
- Kosher salt
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup champagne vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- Touch clover honey
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- Caramelized Scallops:
- 12 large sea scallops, patted dry
- Canola oil, for brushing
- 1 tablespoon superfine sugar
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons barely chopped fresh mint
- 2 tablespoons barely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
For the vinaigrette: Blanch the peas in salted water until tender, and then shock in an ice bath. Whisk together the olive oil, vinegar, mustard, honey and some salt and pepper in a medium bowl. Add the peas, mint and parsley and toss to combine. Let sit at room temperature for 30 minutes to allow the flavors to meld.
For the scallops: Heat a charcoal or gas grill to high for direct grilling. Brush the scallops on both sides with canola oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Sprinkle some sugar over one side and let sit for 2 minutes to slightly dissolve. Place the scallops, sugar-side down, on the grill and cook until golden brown and caramelized, 1 to 2 minutes.
Flip and continue grilling until just cooked through, about 2 minutes.
Serve 3 scallops per plate and spoon the peas and vinaigrette over and around the scallops. Top each with some of the chopped mint and parsley.
Recipe courtesy Bobby Flay
Recipe courtesy of Anne Burrell
Recipe courtesy of Paula Deen
Recipe courtesy of Emeril Lagasse