- 1/4 cup slivered raw almonds
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 small Spanish onion, coarsely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup pureed plum tomatoes
- 3 cups chicken stock, plus more if needed
- Scant 1/4 cup pureed chipotle in adobo
- 2 tablespoons ancho chili powder
- 1 tablespoon New Mexico chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground chile de arbol
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh mango
- 1/4 cup golden raisins
- 1/4 cup crushed blue corn tortilla chips
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
- 3 tablespoons molasses
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 -ounce semisweet or bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Pickled Red Onions:
- 3/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 3/4 cup distilled white vinegar
- 3 tablespoons super fine sugar
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 serrano chile, slit down center
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh oregano leaves
- 1 large red onion, peeled, halved, cut into 1/8-inch-thick slices
- 8 kosher hot dogs, grilled or griddled
- Soft hot dog buns
- 1/2 cup (2-ounces) crumbled queso fresco cheese
- 1 cup grated Manchego cheese
- 1 ripe Hass avocado, peeled, pitted and cut into small dice
Put the almonds in a medium saucepan over medium heat and cook until lightly golden brown, stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes. Remove the almonds to a plate. Increase the heat to high, add the oil and heat until it begins to shimmer. Add the onions and cook until soft, about 4 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds. Stir in the tomatoes, chicken stock, chipotle and chili powders, bring to a boil and cook for 10 minutes.
Add the mango, raisins, tortillas and almonds and cook, stirring occasionally, until mangoes are soft and the mixture is reduced by half, about 30 minutes. Cool for 5 minutes before adding it to a blender.
Carefully transfer the mixture to a blender and blend until smooth. Return the mixture to the saucepan over high heat, add the honey, maple syrup, molasses, cinnamon, clove, allspice and chocolate. Cook until reduced to a sauce consistency, about 10 minutes and season with salt and pepper, to taste.
Combine lime juice, vinegar, sugar, salt and chile in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil over medium heat. Cook the mixture until the sugar is dissolved. Remove from heat and let cool for 5 minutes.
Put the onion slices in a small bowl. Pour the warm vinegar mixture over and toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours and up to 48 hours, stirring the mixture a few times.
Preheat a grill or griddle to medium.
Cook the hot dogs on grill or griddle until golden brown and the skin is crisp. Put in the buns and top each with some of the mole sauce, cheese, avocado and pickled red onions.
Recipe courtesy of Bobby Flay