Poached Eggs, Tasso Ham, Griddle Tomato and Cajun Hollandaise with English Muffins
- 3 cups water
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 4 eggs
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Canola oil, to coat
- 8 ounces tasso ham, sliced into 1/4-inch thick slices
- 4 plum or heirloom tomatoes, sliced in half crosswise
- 4 English muffins, split and toasted
- Cajun hollandaise, to top, recipe follows
- Cajun Hollandaise
- 2 tablespoons Spanish paprika
- 2 teaspoons New Mexican chile powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon chile de arbol
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne powder
- 3 large egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, clarified and melted
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Dash Worcestershire sauce
Heat the water and vinegar until simmering in a large high-sided frying pan. Break each egg into a cup and gently add to the water. Poach the eggs for 4 to 5 minutes, or until the yolk is nearly or almost set. Remove the eggs from the pan with a slotted spoon to drain the liquid and place on a plate. Season the top with salt and pepper.
For the tasso ham and tomatoes: Heat the oil in a cast iron griddle or in a large cast iron pan until it begins to shimmer. Cook the ham for about 1 minute per side or until lightly golden brown. Remove to a plate lined with paper towels. Cook the tomatoes for about 20 seconds per side until lightly golden brown and just warmed through.
Serve the poached eggs with toasted English muffins, ham and tomatoes and Cajun hollandaise.Hollandaise:
Place the egg yolks and lemon juice in a medium stainless steel bowl, set over a pot of simmering water not touching the bottom of the bowl. Whisk the yolks until pale yellow and fluffy. Slowly add the clarified melted butter, a few tablespoons at a time and whisk until thickened. Season the sauce with 2 teaspoons of the spice mixture, salt, and pepper, and a dash Worcestershire sauce. Keep warm until ready to use.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.