Poaching Liquid for Shrimp
- 1 cup white wine
- 1 to 2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 5 black peppercorns
- 4 to 5 parsley stems, optional
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 dried bay leaves
- 2 shallots, coarsely chopped
- 1 head garlic, cut horizontally
- 6 to 8 head-on large shrimp, deveined, peeled with tails on
Bring about 3 quarts of water to a boil in a large pot or Dutch oven. Add the white wine, salt, peppercorns, parsley stems, if using, thyme, bay leaves, shallots and garlic. Bring back to a boil, and then reduce to a simmer and let the flavors meld, about 10 minutes. Add the shrimp and cook just until opaque and pink, about 2 minutes. Remove from the liquid and shock in an ice bath to stop the cooking. Serve chilled.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.