- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large zucchini, finely diced
- 1 red bell pepper, finely diced
- 1 yellow pepper, finely diced
- 5 cloves garlic, smashed to a paste with coarse salt
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes, divided
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh thyme leaves
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley leaves, plus more for garnish
- 1/2 pound ground pork
- 1/2 pound ground veal
- 1 pound ground beef chuck
- 1 cup panko (Japanese) bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Romano or Parmesan
- 1 cup ketchup, divided
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
Heat the oil in a large saute pan over high heat. Add the zucchini, peppers, garlic paste, 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes, and salt and pepper, to taste, and cook until almost soft, 5 minutes. Set aside to cool.
Whisk together the eggs and herbs in a large bowl. Add the meat, bread crumbs, cheese, 1/2 cup of the ketchup, 2 tablespoons of the balsamic vinegar, and the cooled vegetables and mix until just combined.
Mold the meatloaf on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Whisk together the remaining ketchup, balsamic vinegar, and red pepper flakes in a small bowl. Brush the mixture over the entire loaf. Bake the meatloaf for 1 to 1 1/4 hours. Remove from the oven and let rest for 10 minutes before slicing.