Smoked Trout Salad with Meyer Lemon Dressing
- 2 heads endive, thinly sliced
- 3 shallots, thinly sliced
- 4 radishes, thinly sliced
- Meyer Lemon Dressing, recipe follows
- Salt and pepper
- 1 large or several small red beets, roasted and thinly sliced
- 1 large or several small yellow beets, roasted and thinly sliced
- 4 smoked trout fillets, store bought or recipe follows*
- 4 tablespoons trout roe
- Meyer Lemon Dressing:
- 3 Meyer lemons, juiced
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon prepared mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon whole-grain mustard
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh tarragon leaves
- Smoked Trout:
- 8 cups cold water
- 1 cup kosher salt
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 (1-pound) rainbow trout, scaled, bones removed
- Hickory chips
*Cook's Note: You can purchase smoked trout at gourmet stores, specialty markets, and online.
Toss the endive, shallots, and radishes in a large bowl. Toss with half of the dressing and season with salt and pepper. Divide the mixture among 4 plates and arrange the beets around the plate. Tear the trout fillets into bite-sized pieces and place on each salad. Top each with 1 tablespoon of the trout roe and serve.Meyer Lemon Dressing: Smoked Trout:
Combine water, salt, and sugar in a large container and mix until the salt is completely dissolved. Add the fish, cover, and refrigerate for 1 hour.
Soak wood chips in water for at least 1 hour. Remove trout, rinse and dry thoroughly.
Use a covered grill (charcoal, gas or electric) and preheat to about 200 degrees F. Cover
heated coals with 1/3 of the hickory chips. Place fish, skin side down, on well-greased grill, about 4 inches from coals. Close grill hood and open vent to circulate smoke. Add additional hickory chips, as necessary. Smoke trout for approximately 20 minutes. Trout is done when the cut surface is golden brown and flakes easily with a fork.
More Recipes and Ideas:
Smoked Trout Salad with Grilled Fingerlings Potatoes and Mustard-Dill Vinaigrette, Smoked Trout and Potato Salad, Smoked Turkey Salad with Goat Cheese and Walnuts, Dinner Parties Recipes, Baked Ham Recipes, Roasted Turkey Recipes, Baked Tilapia Recipes, Fruit, Grilled Shrimp Recipes
Thank you! your flag was submitted.