- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 medium celery ribs with leaves, chopped
- 15-ounce bag cubed seasoned stuffing or 1 pound firm white sandwich bread, cut into 1/2-inch cubes (10 cups) and dried overnight or in the oven
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 3 cups homemade turkey stock or canned reduced-sodium chicken broth \
- 2 teaspoons poultry seasoning, preferably homemade (recipe follows), optional
- Salt and freshly milled black pepper
In a large skillet, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the onion and celery. Cook, stirring often, until the onion is golden, about 10 minutes.
Scrape the vegetables and butter into a large bowl. Add the stuffing and parsley. Stir in enough of the stock to moisten the stuffing, about 2 1/2 cups. Season with the poultry seasoning, if desired, and salt and pepper to taste. Use to stuff turkey, or place in a buttered baking dish, drizzle with an additional 1/2 cup stock, cover, and a bake as a side dish.