- 3 slices thick cut bacon, cut into small lardons
- 2 large onions, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 3 ears corn, kernels removed
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- 4 hot dogs (recommended: Boar's Head natural casing)
- 1 tablespoon piri-piri hot sauce (recommended: Mazi)
- 4 potato buns (recommended: Martin's)
- 4 tablespoons salted butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise (recommended: Kewpie)
- 2 tablespoons whole-grain mustard
- 1/4 cup grated Cotija cheese
- Pinch cayenne pepper
- 1/2 lime, quartered
Saute the lardons in a frying pan over medium heat until the fat is rendered and the bacon is crispy. Reserve the bacon lardons for garnish and reserve bacon fat for cooking the onions.
Put the onions into the bacon fat, season with a 1/2 teaspoon of salt to draw out moisture and cook gently over medium heat until caramelized, about 20 minutes. Reserve.
Put 2 tablespoons of canola oil in a hot pan over medium heat. When the oil starts to smoke, add the corn kernels 1/2 teaspoon of sugar, 1/2 teaspoon of kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste. Saute over high heat until the corn starts to caramelize, stirring frequently. Remove from heat and add 1 tablespoon cilantro. Reserve for later.
Heat a grill to high. Put the hot dogs on the grill and sear until slightly charred. Brush lightly with hot sauce while still on the grill. Meanwhile, brush the inside of the buns with melted butter and arrange, butter side down, on the grill. Grill until lightly golden brown, about 30 seconds.
Thinly spread the mayonnaise and mustard on each bun. Put the hot dogs into the buns and sprinkle with a tablespoon of caramelized onions. Top with a tablespoon of lardons and 2 tablespoons of corn mixture. Sprinkle each with 1/2 tablespoon of Cotija cheese and a pinch of cayenne pepper. Squeeze a little lime on each hot dog and serve.
A viewer, who may not be a professional cook, provided this recipe. The Food Network Kitchens chefs have not tested this recipe and therefore, we cannot make representation as to the results.