Basque Shrimp with Chimichurri
- 4 pounds shrimp, washed and deveined
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried orange rind
- 1/2 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- Basque-Style Green Sauce:
- 6 garlic cloves, peeled and chopped
- 3 dried bay leaves
- 1 fresh poblano pepper, coarsely chopped with the seeds left in
- 1 fresh serrano chile, coarsely chopped with the seeds left in
- 1/2 tablespoon sea salt
- 1/3 cup finely chopped fresh Italian flat-leaf parsley
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh oregano leaves
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh basil leaves
- 1/4 cup sherry vinegar, plus more if needed
- 13 cup olive oil, plus more if needed
Wooden skewers soaked in water for at least 15 minutesBasque-Style Green Sauce:
Rub shrimp with salt and pepper, and then rub shrimp with remaining ingredients until well coated. Thread shrimp onto skewers. Cover, and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
Preheat grill or oven to 450 degrees F.
While shrimp sits, make green sauce by combining garlic, bay leaves, pepper, chili and sea salt in mortar and mash until smooth paste is formed. (If you don't have a mortar, put all ingredients in blender, with teaspoon of vinegar.)
Transfer to mixing bowl. Add parsley, oregano and basil. Whisk in the vinegar and olive oil until well combined.
Place shrimp on hot grill and sear both sides until pink. Remove shrimp.
Set shrimp onto platter, spoon over green sauce and serve.
Recipe courtesy Cat Cora
Recipe courtesy of Robin Miller