Cornish Game Hens, Stuffed Under the Skin
- 1/4 cup washed basil leaves, cut into chiffonade
- Small clove garlic, or garlic paste
- 1/2 cup low fat ricotta cheese
- About 1/4 to 1/3 cup fresh bread crumbs
- 1 egg yolk
- Salt and pepper
- 1 rock Cornish game hen, about 1 and 1/2 pounds in weight
- Olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
With heavy shears, cut each bird along one side of backbone and remove as much fat as possible. Cut backbone away; insert your fingers under the skin covering the breast and top of drumsticks. Loosen skin as much as possible and insert some stuffing between flesh and skin. Set bird halves, breast side up in a baking pan; rub olive oil over the skin and season with salt and pepper.
Bake for about 10 minutes, lower heat to 375 degrees and bake for 35 to 40 minutes longer or until done; let bird rest 10 minute before serving to let stuffing settle and firm up. Serve with bread and 1 or 2 vegetable purees.
Recipe Courtesy of �Michelle Urvater