"Sweet Earth" - Chocolate Mousse with Chocolate Cookie Crumbles (Tierrita Dulce)
- 1 (12-ounce) bag bittersweet chocolate chips
- 1 1/2 tablespoons instant espresso powder
- 2 tablespoons dark rum
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pinch salt
- 1/2 cup water
- 3 eggs, separated
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 packets chocolate cookies, crushed (recommended: Oreo Crisps)
- Edible flowers, with stems if possible
In a separate bowl, using a hand mixer, beat the egg yolks with 1/2 cup of the sugar until you can scrape the bottom of the bowl clean, about 2 minutes. Fold about 1/3 of the chocolate mixture into the yolks with a rubber spatula, then fold the egg mixture into the chocolate remaining in the bowl. Set aside.
Wash the beaters and bowl thoroughly and dry them. Whip the egg whites with the remaining 1/2 cup sugar until they hold soft peaks when the beaters are lifted. Fold 1/3 of the whites into the chocolate mixture with a rubber spatula. Once incorporated, fold the remaining whites.
In a clean bowl, beat the cream until it holds firm peaks. Fold the cream into the chocolate mixture 1/3 at a time using a rubber spatula. Divide the mousse among 8 dessert cups. Chill at least 2 hours or up to overnight.