Basic Tomato (Pomodoro) Sauce
- 5 tablespoons olive oil, plus extra for garnish
- 12 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 6 (28-ounce) cans chopped tomatoes
- 2 1/2 teaspoons sugar
- Kosher salt
- 1 pound gemelli pasta or other similar shape
- 1 small bunch fresh basil, chifonnade, for garnish
- 1 (8-ounce) wedge Parmesan or Grana Padano cheese, grated or shaved, for garnish
In a large heavy-bottomed pot or Dutch oven, heat the olive oil over medium heat.
Add the garlic and cook until fragrant but not browned, 1 to 2 minutes. Add the tomatoes, bring to a simmer, and cook until thickened slightly, about 15 minutes. Stir in sugar, and season with salt, to taste.
Meanwhile, cook pasta in boiling, salted water until al dente. Drain.
Let extra sauce cool completely and then seal in airtight containers. Refrigerate for up 1 week and freeze for up to 1 month.