Cannellini Bean Soup with Kale and Garlic-Olive Oil Crostini
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for the bruschetta
- 6 to 8 cloves garlic, thinly sliced, plus 1 or 2 more whole cloves
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 (6-ounce) can tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 (15-ounce) cans cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 quarts chicken stock, water, or a combination
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 large bunch kale, large ribs removed, chopped
- 1 baguette
Heat oil in a large pot. Add garlic and oregano and cook no more than a minute. Add tomato paste and vinegar, and cook another minute. Add beans and stock and bring to a simmer. Season with salt and pepper. Add kale and simmer, partially covered, for 1 hour. Season, to taste, again with salt and pepper before serving.
Slice baguette on a heavy angle to create long slices. Toast in a toaster or in the conventional oven. Rub once or twice with half a garlic clove. Season a shallow plate of extra-virgin olive oil with salt and dip each side of bread into the oil. Serve as accompaniment to the soup.
Recipe courtesy of Dave Lieberman