This is the most delicious and vibrant take on chicken soup, the get well classic, that I could come up with. Lots of hearty pieces of chicken meat, a sweet broth with lots of bright veggies. I add a touch of heat with hot sauce at the end to get a little sweat going to get all those evil sick bugs out. Make it ahead of time and just heat it up at my friend's house.
- 4 small onions, quartered
- 6 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 pound carrots, peeled and cut into -2inch chunks
- 2 pounds chicken thighs, skin removed
- Handful thyme sprigs
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 pounds red bliss potatoes, washed and quartered
- 2 handfuls green beans, trimmed
- Hot pepper sauce, to taste
In a large pot, combine onions, garlic, carrots, chicken and thyme. Season with salt and pepper. Add cold water to cover. Bring to boil then reduce heat to a simmer. Skim and discard any scum that may come to the top.
Simmer until the meat of the chicken falls off the bone with almost no pressure from a fork, about 1 to 1 1/2 hours. Remove the chicken pieces to a plate. Use 2 forks to separate the meat from the bone. Add the meat back to pot.
Add the potatoes, cook until fork tender, about 20 minutes. Add green beans, cook until crisp-tender, about 3 to 4 minutes. Remove from heat, add hot sauce, salt and pepper to taste.