Dessert Crostino of Fresh Ricotta, Strawberries and Aged Balsamic Vinegar
- 1 pint fresh strawberries, cleaned and hulled
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon aged balsamic vinegar, plus additional to drizzle
- 3 fresh basil leaves, torn
- 6 thinly sliced pieces neutral-flavored bread, spread with unsalted butter and lightly toasted
- 1/2 cup fresh ricotta cheese
- Fresh ground black pepper
Chop the strawberries into 1/4-inch dice and add them to a glass or ceramic bowl. Add sugar, balsamic vinegar and torn basil leaves. Gently toss to combine and set aside to macerate for 15 to 20 minutes.
Lightly brush the toasted crostini slices with the macerating liquid to sweeten. Spread 1 tablespoon of ricotta on each toast and then top with 1 tablespoon of macerated strawberries. Drizzle each crostini with remaining liquid and sprinkle with just a pinch of fresh ground black pepper.
Professional Recipe: This recipe was provided by a chef, restaurant or culinary professional and makes a large quantity. The Food Network Kitchens chefs have not tested this recipe in the proportions indicated and therefore cannot make any representation as to the results.
Recipe courtesy of Mark Pastore