Egg "Barley": Farfel
This isn't barley, it's pasta. You could also use orzatta. You can also dry the dough and grate it with a box grater. Barley and kasha used[ to be the staples of Eastern Europe; potatoes and pasta replaced them.]
- 1 cup packaged egg barley or 1/2 recipe Egg Noodle Dough (Varenikes), recipe follows
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, minced
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 1 carrot, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 1 parsnip, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 1/ 2 pound cremini mushrooms, sliced 1/4-inch thick
- Varenike dough:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup water
- Egg wash (1 egg mixed with 2 tablespoons water)
Roll out pasta dough 1/4-inch thick. With a pizza wheel and ruler, cut into 1/4-inch strips. Let the pasta dry a little, and then cut it into 1/4-inch squares with a knife. Boil until tender. Drain.
In a saute pan, heat the olive oil. Brown the onions, then add the garlic, carrots, parsnip, and mushrooms. Cook until barely tender. Add farfel and heat through.Varenike dough:
Put the flour in a mixing bowl, and make a well in the center. Mix in the rest of the ingredients to form a soft dough. Knead until elastic. Form into a disk and wrap with plastic. Refrigerate for 1 hour to relax.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.