- 1/2 cup low-sodium chicken stock
- 1/2 cup lite coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 shallot, sliced thin
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Thai fish sauce (or 2 additional teaspoons low sodium soy sauce)
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon lime zest
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breast pounded slightly and cut into 1-inch strips
8 (8-inch) bamboo skewers, soaked for 20 minutes
- 3/4 cup Spicy Peanut Dipping Sauce, recipe below
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh basil or cilantro leaves
- 1/4 cup chopped toasted peanuts
In a medium sized bowl, whisk together the chicken stock, coconut milk, soy sauce, shallot, garlic, fish sauce, brown sugar, lime zest, and ginger. Add the chicken strips and marinate for 1 hour. Remove the chicken from the marinade and discard the marinade.
Spray a nonstick grill pan with cooking spray and preheat over a medium-high flame. While pan is heating, thread chicken onto skewers. Grill 2 to 3 minutes per side, until meat is cooked through and has light grill marks.
Serve chicken skewers with Peanut Dipping Sauce, and garnish with basil or cilantro and chopped peanuts.
Yield: 4 servings (2 skewers and 2 tablespoons peanut sauce per serving)
Spicy Peanut Dipping Sauce:
- 1/2 cup natural creamy peanut butter
- 1/4 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 1/2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon chili flakes
- 1 teaspoon red curry paste
- 1 shallot, peeled and roughly chopped
Place all ingredients in blender and blend until smooth.
Sauce can be made 1 day ahead of time, and will keep 3 to 4 days in the refrigerator.
Yield: about 1 1/4 cups