Chicken with Jerk Sauce and Cool Pineapple Salsa
- For the salsa:
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 cup finely diced pineapple
- 1/3 cup finely diced, seeded English cucumber
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh mint leaves
- For the chicken:
- 4 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves, about 5 ounces each, pounded to 1/2-inch thick
- 1 cup chopped scallions (about 6 scallions)
- 1/2 Scotch bonnet or habanero chile pepper, seeded and finely minced (wear gloves when handling)
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger, or 1/4 teaspoon ground
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fresh thyme or 1/2 teaspoon dried
- 1/2 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
DirectionsFor the salsa:
In a small bowl whisk together the honey and the lime juice. Combine the pineapple, cucumber and mint in a medium bowl, pour the dressing over and toss to combine. Set aside.
For the chicken:
Heat 2 teaspoons of olive oil in a large skillet over a medium-high heat. Add the chicken breasts and cook for about 4 minutes on each side, or until browned and cooked through. Transfer the chicken to a plate and cover with foil to keep warm.
Add the remaining 2 teaspoons of oil to the pan. Stir in the scallions, pepper, garlic, ginger, allspice, and thyme. Cook for 30 seconds over a medium heat. Add the chicken broth and soy sauce and cook until liquid is reduced by half, about 3 minutes. Stir in the lime juice. Put the chicken back in the pan and coat well with the sauce.
Serve with the pineapple salsa.
Yield: 4 servings (1 serving is 1 chicken breast, 2 tablespoons of sauce and 1/3 cup of salsa)
Thank you! your flag was submitted.