- Canola oil cooking spray
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced, green and white parts
- 1 medium green bell pepper, finely diced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, finely diced
- 1 tablespoon finely grated fresh ginger root
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 pound of crab claw meat, picked over
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lime zest
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro leaves, plus 18 whole cilantro leaves
- 1 large egg, beaten to mix
- 1 cup of Panko breadcrumbs, or regular unseasoned breadcrumbs
- 3 tablespoons canola mayonnaise
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup nonfat, plain Greek-style thickened yogurt
- 1 teaspoon hot chili-garlic sauce, such as Sriracha, plus more to taste
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Spray a baking sheet with canola oil cooking spray.
Heat the oil in a nonstick skillet over a medium-high heat. Add the scallion, green pepper, and jalapeno and cook until the peppers soften slightly, about 3 minutes. Add the ginger and garlic and cook for one minute more. Set aside to cool slightly.
In a large mixing bowl combine the pepper-scallion mixture with the crab, lime zest, lime juice, cilantro, egg, 1/2 cup of the Panko, 1 tablespoon of the mayonnaise, and the salt.
Put the remaining 1/2 cup Panko on a plate. Form the crab mixture into 8 crab cakes and gently roll each in the Panko and place on the prepared baking sheet. Spray the tops of the crab cakes with the canola oil cooking spray to coat lightly.
Bake the crab cakes until they are golden brown on the bottom, about 10 minutes. Gently turn them over and cook for 10 minutes on the other side. In the meantime, in a small bowl stir together the yogurt with the remaining 2 tablespoons mayonnaise and the chili-garlic sauce.
To serve, top each crab cake with about 1/2 teaspoon of the spicy cream and one cilantro leaf.
Serving size: 2 crab cakes
Calories 300; Total Fat 14 g; (Sat Fat 1 g, Mono Fat 7.5 g, Poly Fat 4 g) ; Protein 29 g; Carb 14 g; Fiber 2 g; Cholesterol 170 mg; Sodium 770 mg
Excellent source of: Copper, Phosphorus, Protein, Selenium, Vitamin B6, Vitamin B12, Vitamin C, Vitamin K, Zinc
Good source of: Calcium, Folate, Magnesium, Manganese, Niacin, Potassium, Vitamin B6