- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- 1 red bell pepper, cleaned, seeded and cut into strips (6 ounces)
- 1/2 pound thin asparagus, trimmed and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 cup sliced button mushrooms (4 ounces)
- 1 cup grape or cherry tomatoes, sliced in 1/2 (6 ounces)
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken stock
- 1/2 cup 1 percent milk
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour, dissolved in 3 tablespoons water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 large carrot (6 ounces) peeled and sliced into strips with a peeler (about 2 cups carrot ribbons)
- 3/4 pound whole-wheat linguine
- 1/2 cup (1 1/2 ounces) grated Parmesan
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley leaves
- 1/4 cup shredded basil leaves
Heat the oil in a large saute pan over medium-high heat. Cook garlic until soft, about 1 minute. Add peppers and cook until they begin to soften, about 3 minutes. Add mushrooms, asparagus and tomatoes and cook until softened, an additional 5 minutes. Stir in flour and cook for 1 minute more. Add chicken stock, milk, salt and pepper and bring to a boil; reduce to a simmer and cook until liquid has thickened slightly, about 5 minutes. Stir in carrot strips.
Meanwhile, cook pasta according to package directions; drain, reserving 1/2 cup pasta water. Toss pasta with vegetables and sauce. Add pasta water, if necessary, to loosen mixture. Serve garnished with Parmesan, parsley and basil.
Serving Size, 2 cups pasta plus 2 tablespoons cheese, plus parsley and basil
Calories 480; Total Fat 11 g; (Sat Fat 3 g, Mono Fat 3 g, Poly Fat 0.5 g) ; Protein 22 g; Carb 76 g; Fiber 10 g; Cholesterol 10 mg; Sodium 610 mg
Excellent source of: Protein, Fiber, Vitamin A, Vitamin C, Vitamin K, Calcium, Potassium
Good source of: Riboflavin, Niacin, Vitamin B6, Iron, Manganese, Phosphorus, Selenium
Thank you! your flag was submitted.