Pasta with Escarole, White Beans and Chicken Sausage
- Total Time:
- 25 min
- 10 min
- 15 min
- 4 servings (serving size 2 cups)
- 3/4 pound whole-wheat bowtie (or other shape) pasta
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped, about 1 cup
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 6 ounces lowfat Italian-style chicken sausage, casings removed, crumbled
- 1 medium head escarole, rinsed, drained and chopped, about 8 cups
- 1 (14-ounce) can low-sodium cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 1/2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh sage leaves
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 ounce grated Parmesan
Cook the pasta according to the directions on the package.
Heat the oil over a medium heat in a large, deep saute pan or 8-quart stockpot. Saute the onion until soft and translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook an additional 1 minute. Stir in the sausage and cook until heated through and browned, about 4 minutes. Add the escarole and cook until wilted, about 3 to 4 minutes. Add the beans, 1 cup of chicken stock, sage and red pepper flakes and simmer until the mixture is heated through and liquid is slightly reduced. Add the
sausage-bean mixture to pasta and toss well, loosening with the additional 1/2 cup chicken stock if necessary. Season with freshly ground pepper and salt, to taste.
Divide among 4 pasta bowls and top with parmesan cheese.
More Recipes and Ideas:
Wild Mushroom Pasta, Fire Island Burst Tomato Pasta with Lemon Herbed Goat Cheese Balls, Pick-a-Pepper Pasta (Bucatini with Hot and Sweet and Pickled Peppers Sauce), Easy Lunch, Stuffed Pork Chops Recipes, Enchilada Recipes, Mexican Chicken Recipes, Swiss Cheese, Garlic Chicken Recipes
Thank you! your flag was submitted.