Corn and Lobster Bisque
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 tablespoons bleached all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup minced yellow onions
- 1 cup corn kernels (from 2 ears corn)
- 2 tablespoons minced shallots
- 2 tablespoons minced celery
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 cup fish stock or water
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon crab boil, optional (recommended: Zatarain's Concentrated Crab and Shrimp Boil)
- 1/2 pound cooked lobster meat, diced (from a 1 1/2 pound lobster)
- 1/4 cup minced green onions (green part only)
Heat the oil in a large heavy pot or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add the flour a tablespoon at a time, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon until blended. Continue stirring to make a light brown roux, 5 to 10 minutes.
Add the onions, corn, shallots, celery, garlic, salt, and cayenne and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onions soften, about 4 minutes. Slowly stir in the stock. Add the bay leaves and bring to a boil. Add the milk, cream, and the crab boil, if using. Reduce the heat to medium-low. Simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes.
Stir in the lobster meat and green onions and simmer for 5 minutes. Remove and discard the bay leaves.
Ladle into shallow soup cups or bowls and serve hot.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.