Emeril's Vegetable Frittata
- 8 large eggs
- 3 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3/4 cup grated fontina or Gouda
- 1 1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 small or 1/2 medium zucchini, about 5 ounces
- 1 1/2 cups thinly sliced crimini mushrooms
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced yellow bell pepper
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced red bell pepper
- 1/4 cup minced green onions (green tops only)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme leaves
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley leaves
- 1 tablespoon chopped green onions, for garnish
Preheat the broiler and place the top rack 4 to 5 inches from the broiler element. In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, cream, 1/4 teaspoon of the salt, and 1/8 teaspoon pepper until the eggs are frothy. Add 1/2 cup of the cheese and whisk. Set aside.
In a 10-inch nonstick ovenproof skillet, melt the butter over medium-high heat. Add the zucchini, and mushrooms, and and cook, stirring, until the vegetables are soft and lightly browned, 2 to 3 minutes. Add the peppers and green onions, and cook, stirring occasionally, for 2 minutes. Add the garlic, thyme, 1/4 teaspoon of the salt, and pinch of the pepper and cook, stirring, until the garlic is fragrant, 30 seconds to 1 minute. Stir in 1 tablespoon of parsley and with the pan over medium heat, pour the egg mixture over the vegetables. Cook, lifting with a rubber spatula to let the eggs flow underneath, until the edges are set but the middle still is loose, 3 to 4 minutes.
Remove from the heat and sprinkle the remaining 1/4 cup cheese over the top. Place under the broiler until the eggs are slightly puffed and the cheese is bubbly and golden brown, 2 to 3 minutes, watching carefully to prevent from overcooking.
Remove from the oven and carefully slide the frittata out onto a large serving platter. Garnish with the remaining 1 tablespoon parsley and the chopped green onions. Slice, and serve immediately.